Sunday, 17 December 2017

Sowerby Bridge Canal Basin.

Sowerby Bridge Canal Basin is a Grade II listed mooring area at the junction of the Calder & Hebble Navigation and Rochdale Canals near the centre of Sowerby Bridge. The basin area has been redeveloped since the 1980's in to a leisure and business area with businesses including offices, restaurants, gym and bar occupying the space around the marina.

The buildings were constructed by the Calder & Hebble Navigation Company, who were instructed by the Rochdale Canal Act(1793) to build whatever warehouses and wharves were required by the Rochdale Canal Company although the Calder & Hebble Company were not required to pay for them. The buildings were built as a trans shipment area around the canal junction as the Calder & Hebble whilst having wider locks, they were shorter than the ones constructed on the Rochdale Canal.

The warehouse were known as Warehouse 1,2,3,4 with warehouse 3 better known as the Salt Warehouse as it was used for storing salt. Warehouse 3 and 4 are thought to be one of the earliest examples of a warehouse built to allow undercover unloading of boats in the UK. Each end of the warehouses allows access to either the Calder & Hebble Navigation or the Rochdale Canals.

The junction where the canals meet is known as Kirkham Turn. and from the mid 1960's until 1996 the spur of the Rochdale Canal from the basin towards the centre of Sowerby Bridge ran for only a few hundred metres through Locks 1 and 2 before ending at Wharf Street in the shadow of Christ Church, the local council extending Tuel Lane and filling the canal in through locks 3 and 4. The basin was the end of the line for over 30 years.

The pictures were taken with many different camera on several occasions.



















Thanks for looking and please take a moment to share, all the pictures remain the copyright of Colin Green.