Saturday, 7 May 2022

Eastwood Railway Station Remains

Eastwood Railway Station opened on the 1st January 1841 to serve the village of Eastwood between Hebden Bridge and Todmorden, West Yorkshire. The station used to have a signal box, level crossing, coal drops and goods passing loop around its site but these have all been removed over time. The access ramp from Burnley Road is still used by pedestrians but the former vehicle level crossing is now just a pedestrian crossing providing access to Eastwood Lane.

The station remained in use until competition from trams and buses caused reduced passenger numbers and closure came in December 1951, although some goods traffic continued until the early 1960's. The station buildings remained into the early 1970's when the closure of the signal box led to all the buildings being demolished and cleared.

These pictures were taken using a Nikon d3300 SLR on the 4 May 2022, there are a total of 6 pictures which can be seen below, they can also be seen on Clickasnap where they are full size, resolution and un-watermarked.


The remains of the former station buildings, the site was always tight on
space and the hillside was dug away to provide space for the buildings.
Its hard to imagine now that there were station buildings, a signal box, a
passing loop, coal delivery drops and 2 platforms all within this 
small area for a station.


The station access roads, these used to lead up to a level crossing that
past between the 2 stations platforms, these were staggered due to the
small area available. The only crossing now is for pedestrians.

Looking down the former access ramp and at the pedestrian crossing
that was once used by cars. This picture shows how tight the site
was to fit a station here.

Eastwood Lane runs above the station site, the road towards the
bottom left of the picture accesses the area around what was the station.

Thanks for looking and please take a moment to share and follow me on social media.

All the pictures remain the copyright of Colin Green.