Stanley Bridge, Kirkby Lonsdale 4 April 2015

 Stanley Bridge was built in the early 1930's to carry the A65 road across the River Lune. It replaced Devil's Bridge which is now a pedestrian crossing a few hundred metres to the north.

The bridge was built by Westmorland County Council as part of a much larger bypass scheme and has a span of 109ft 11in (33.5m) at it's maximum across the River Lune, over 60 men worked on the construction and it cost over £20000, approx £1.5 million at 2022 rates. The bridge was opened on the 3 December 1932 by the Rt. Hon. Oliver Stanley, Minister for Home Affairs.

There are a total of 4 pictures of Stanley Bridge taken using a Polaroid is2132 bridge camera. They can be seen below or on Clickasnap where they are full size, resolution and un-watermarked.



Devil's Bridge can be seen beyond the archway.

Thanks for looking and please take a moment to share.

All images are the copyright of Colin Green.

Popular Posts